Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Running the Race

I was doing a little light reading today (it was a snow day and all of the surrounding schools were closed….had lots of free time at work) One of my favorite authors to read (when I have time) is Max Lucado. In the book Just Like Jesus, I was reading the chapter that talks about finishing strong. As I get ready to start back to class on Monday, I start to think about things that I can do to make my semester better, to show improvement in myself and the way I live my life. I know that I procrastinate assignments, put off readings, and put other things first that really should be last. (the average college student) I also tend to forget to eat, sleep, and work out like I know I should so I can make it through a semester without getting deathly ill (at least that is what it feels like sometimes). I need to figure out where my focus truly needs to be in my life. “The Christian’s race is not a jog but rather a demanding and grueling, some time agonizing race. It takes massive effort to finish strong.” I want to figure out what I’m tempted the most at….putting a paper off until the night before it is due or going out dancing, having a few drinks at a club or two (I am of age). Then I think about the things Christ was tempted to do and how he never gave in. Luke 4: 1-2 “The Spirit led Jesus into the desert where the devil tempted Jesus for forty days.” I can’t even imagine what types of temptation Christ was faced with. My temptations seem to be littler than nothing compared to His. I know that Christ was given the chance to quit the race and He kept running no matter who criticized Him. So how do we keep running the race like Him? I know that our hearts aren’t as strong as His, that we don’t have the strength, the speed, the endurance as He did, but how do we achieve that? Hebrews 12:2 says “…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. ” I don’t know where my path is leading me, which race I should even start. I just know that I need to try my hardest to put forth 100% effort and faith into what I am doing.
I’m going to be doing the first devotion at our Wednesday night praise devotion and I’m focusing on new year’s resolution. Have you thought of what yours is by now or do you even have one? Mine is to a line my priorities from God, to studies, to friends & family. I know most people’s goals are to go to the gym and work out, mine isn’t written in black and white. I am working on something more in-depth than that. (Not that I don’t plan on working out) With in the last few months I have gotten older. As I get older I know that my life doesn’t feel complete. I think back to when I was a child (or much younger than now) when I had what seemed to be possible, (but now non-realistic dream) that I would be almost done with school, ready for marriage, and a family. I look now and I’m single, and still have another year or school left before graduating again, I wouldn’t mind my sister adding to her family, but time is not yet here for myself….so there go those great dreams and great races I thought I had to run…now where is my path, how will I run the race? Do you have a race that feels like you keep running by yourself? How are you going to finish? Do feel like temptations are too hard to face alone? ? Remember to look around you; the Lord, God never leaves your side…. just talk to him about it one on one.
These were my only thought provoking questions for the day. I know more will pop into my head tomorrow because another snow day is on the way with at least another 12inches of snow…yippee!

God Bless,
Kristy

1 comment:

Adam said...

Hey! Amazing! All in all...trust! So huge! Well, my most recent post to date talks about trust, and i think it matches crazily close to what you are saying. The really crazy thing is, i wrote mine before i read yours, so that means we're pretty much thinking along the same lines and didn't even know it!
amazing. Well, I'll leave it at that.

God's Blessings,
Adam