Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Hide and Seek

Why do we think that we can hide from God? In the beginning way back in the book of Genesis, Adam and Eve thought they could hide from God but God sought them out. He didn’t do this because He didn’t know where they were, but to show them that He wasn’t going to lose them to sin. Tonight at Bible study I watched “The Apostle.” It is a movie about a popular southern preacher named Sunny. Sunny’s wife got into and adultery relationship, left Sunny and was going to remarry this other man. Sunny started drinking and in a rage one night killed the man and left town. He leaves heading towards a small church in Louisiana. He tried to run from his problems and then finally realized he can’t escape punishment of what he has done. The people of this small southern congregation helped him to realize that he needed to turn his life around…it wasn’t riches or power, but it was the need of forgiveness. This story is similar to how Jonah ran away from God, left a city and went in the opposite direction. (Jonah 1:3-4) Jonah was thrown over board to calm the sea and spent 3days and 3nights in a giant fish to think about his relationship with God and why he was trying to run. Psalm 139:1-16 talks about how God doesn’t give up on us because of His unconditional love. God invites us to return to Him for forgiveness. In Psalm 51: David realizes his sin and can’t escape his problems or hide from God. He has sinned not just against another man, but against God. He realizes that he needs to ask for forgiveness from God and then realizes that that is a gift he can share with other people. Often times I find that I don’t intentionally hide from God, but there are things I know that I’m not proud about in my life that I wish God didn’t have to see. I know that I need to constantly go to Him and seek His love and forgiveness. Lord, please forgive me all of my transgressions whether it is by thoughts, words, or deeds. Amen
God Bless,
Kristy

No comments: