Monday, January 24, 2005

Dare I say I’m growing up

So I went home this weekend (back to where my parents live). It is there that the harsh reality strikes me of how much things really do change. (don’t get me wrong I noticed before… I was the girl that when I turned 22 my quote of the month was “I’m getting closer to 30…aaah.” I was standing in my old high school just in the first floor hallway looking around not only do I not know anyone walking by me, but the old building has under gone some small changes itself. I was standing in the office working on wrestling tournament seating and teachers would walk in that I had never seen before and would ask why I wasn’t in class and then other ones that have been around for forever would have to correct them in saying that I was old and that I haven’t gone to school here for a while. Man are things different….just sitting a the wrestling tournament I was talking to one of my classmates, he has graduated from college and is working at a radio station in the same area he went to college… every year the two of us are back in our home town for the John J. Harris Invitational (the second largest tournament in the state…very exciting and stressful event.) any ways we were looking into the crowd and looking at the wrestlers and started talking about how we didn’t really know any of them when in previous years you knew the wrestlers what they were ranked, their weight class, and who was there to cheer them on. We talked about his upcoming wedding and our class reunion talking about kids that I use to watch and the fact that they are graduating from high school. The main part of our conversation was about friends and people we knew from our class and where they are now at in their lives. A lot of his friends are stuck in our small hometown farming for their dad’s and others have gone and left the town never to return. Most people I know think that when they go off to college that they have to forget about high school friends…for me that wasn’t possible. I wanted to keep in as much contact with them as I could. They are the people that I have spent years building friendships and connections with and I didn’t want to have to start all over again with each new college I attended. (I’m a shy and busy girl, what can I say) I knew that we were all going in different directions in our lives’ and I didn’t think that we would drift far but I know it was bound to happen with a few of us in our little tight group. A few weekends ago we had our winter gathering, this time they all came up to where I attend college because most of us have gathered back together and live pretty close to one another. All of us made it except one…1:7 is a good ratio I guess when you add on that everyone except me is seeing someone and had a date for the evening, we make a pretty large group to party with at the clubs. Anyways the point to my long winded story is that no matter how many years go by or how long time passes before I talk to anyone of these girls I still feel that we are close and that I can go to them with anything because they know my history and they do not judge who I am.. I am trying so hard to make the friendships in my life all line up and make sense to me but they don’t and maybe that is all about growing up….I’m not really sure….I know that I’m having some difficulty with some friendships and don’t really know how to deal or where their place is at. I have so many great connections in my life though I’m not sure what they all mean to me yet I know that I want to build upon each new one in the coming year….I look at pervious friendships that are still growing and know that they are my foundations for the new ones to come. As messed up and dramatic my life has been lately this is one positive thing that I look at. Friendship means a great deal to me, because they are like another family…going through high school I know that they are the only reason that I am alive. Now they are what help me know that I can make it through each day with a smile. I know that change is good, but sometimes it is hard to deal with. The whole reason that sparked this extremely long Blog was a phone call that I had last night. I had met a few girls in Florida this summer and for some unknown reason we clicked and it just felt like we had known each other for years when realistically it had only been a few days….this is an awesome connection and I know that it is there for a reason it made me want to put friendship in to consideration…I just think that God puts people in our lives to make us stronger, to challenge us, and to help us grow in our love for Him. We all have a lot of growing up to do, just keep in perspective that God is right there with us and so are our closest friends.

Love Always,
Kristy

1 comment:

Kris said...

I'm going to post my own comment today. I wanted to attach a thank you for those of you who are my friends and to let you know that you all play a large role in my life. Your life and friendship matters to me!
God Bless,
Kristy