Thursday, January 18, 2007

Venus Vs. Mars


Last night I was watching Oprah…they were talking about how men don’t understand women and women don’t understand men. Why is that?

One line that stuck out was “women keep crazy in a bottle for 6months while dating a man and then slowly opens it and lets the crazy seep out.” I was thinking…wow that sounds ridiculous at first…and then whoa isn’t that the truth? Isn’t it weird how man and woman are so different? How often do you keep some secrets from a person until you get more comfortable around them? This in my opinion goes for male and female. There are things you don’t want the opposite sex to know until they have known you for a while. That way they can’t just judge you on one incident. (that is why I wait to bring people home to meet the family…when you meet some you meet a lot of my family ‘cause it is a small town) What kinds of things do you keep from the other half of you? Hmmm For me it is being around them when I’m sick (really sick) or not wearing my glasses around them. It is a comfort thing. I’m not sure about the craziness part, I’m sure I get to be more talkative, more out going, more relaxed.

Men claim that women don't say what they mean. Well I’ll be the first to admit sometimes (not often I may go around saying what I mean) I’m not always straightforward and blunt, but 98% of the time I say what I mean like most women. Even if we say what we mean…. men don’t understand or end up reading too deep into what we are saying making it something new and meaningless or better yet they just tune us out.

When I ask for a man to pick something out to do or an opinion on something I’m looking at them participating in decision making, I don’t need them to make the right choices, just pick something or be involved in it. Like should I wear the black dress or the brown dress to dinner…doesn’t really matter to me which one, but I want participation from the man I’m dating. The question they asked to men on Oprah was if your girlfriend or wife was on a diet to loose 25-30lbs and you catch her digging into a chocolate cake what would you say or do? I don’t even know what I would do…my guess is I would give my man a stern look and take the cake into the other room and eat it myself or better yet split it so they weren’t eating as much.

Why is it that when hanging out with friends that are female you talk about guys and when hanging out with guys majority of the time all you hear about is sex related topics? If men were to write about what is important in a relationship…the main chapter would be what? *** Most women may have mentioned sex, but would have talked more about the verbal aspect of a relationship and then break that into smaller complicated parts.

Why is it women feel like they can’t eat in front of men? I know I went through that stage, but it was in high school ( I didn’t eat a lot any way) I don’t do it so much any more…I got pasted the “oh he might think I’m a pig stage” Don’t get me wrong sometimes I flat out can’t eat everything they put on a plate…most restaurants are giving double the serving size of what we should be eating. My stomach isn’t that big. Do men mind a girl who takes home a doggy bag?

Why is it that men don’t like to be challenged by women? If a women is better at something naturally over a man then the man gets a little stuck up and reserved or just all out claims they let you, the female, win at something so it wouldn’t hurt your feelings? I’m not good at a lot of things take pool for example I suck. Foosball I can kick a guys ass on if I’m in a bar and the table isn’t iced over smooth (I need friction and control). Men normally get uptight if they don’t have things their way when in comes to competition. (generalization)

What can I say on this topic…I’m not going to claim that women are more organized and generally cleaner than men…because lord knows I know that isn’t true. There are soooo many generalizations made and imbedded in us as we grow. For instance as a baby you are normally wearing a lot of pink as a girl and blue as a boy…you are playing with dolls and interested in beauty, and cooking as a girl and cars, dirt, and machinery as a boy. Those are things our own society markets as we are children. Every culture has its own ideal identity for the gender roles in their society. Times are changing...I'm not a big fan of pink (i'm trying to change it up a bit) I was the little girl who liked GI Joes, Legos, dirt, and bugs...I stilled liked Barbies, dolls, and dress up. I enjoyed having tea parties with my grandmother and gram'a Jan, but enjoyed playing on mounds of dirt a work sites of my dads.....I still don't fit any type of cookie cutter mold society would like to use on people. What kind of person are you? Are you a star shape cookie, heart, or maybe that holiday bell shape?

Well I’ve bounced around a lot in my typing today…keep in mind most things are just random.



No comments: