Friday, January 26, 2007

Body 101

I had to watch the puberty movie with 30 girls today...and help the school nurse answer questions...who knew I was so knowledgeable. lol It was a little awkward, but there weren't a lot of giggles and the movie was new...not a 1970's thing that I was told we would be doing. The girls asked questions for a good 30mins. the male teachers were tired of the boys asking erection questions in the other room so we end our session before all the questions were answered. It didn't go like I thought it would, which was good....it is a little scary. The health talk really throwed off the day for all the men. I had questions from 4th grade girls on and off all day. Do you think 4th grade is too young to do this health talk too?

My weekend will be spent at school, get ready for a review board to visit....and get ready for centers(ideas anybody)

2 comments:

The Hopper Family said...

4th Grade, Hmm? Back when I was in school (in the suburbs), I couldn't imagine starting this early.

But boy how the times change. I think it should be essential curriculum for the 4th graders in Des Moines, as disturbing as it may sound. The sad reality is that I've got students with nieces and nephews when they're oldest sibling is still in high school. Too many of my students are far to young to be so incredibly knowledgeable about sex. Problem is, rarely is it the most accurate knowledge.

Question, though: how far in depth did the video go? Did you have to stick with a strict abstinence-only curriculum? That's about the worst possible thing we could do at Moulton...

~OC

Anonymous said...

To be honest...we didn't even talk about sex really with the girls. It was more on them growing up into women and how to take care of them. From the way it sounded the boys talked about the sex information a little more. I have a feeling that will be another move. (i'm going to be gone that day)