Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Warmth

What is your New Year’s Eve plan? Party plans….family plans….?
I’m going to RUSH, a college retreat at Okoboji. My friends want me to stick around Ames…and my family I’m sure would love it if I came home to celebrate. Well tough luck cause I will be spending with friends and strangers talking about God’s love. I tell people that at mid-night I will be standing by a bonfire, burning up the sin box, and having Holy Communion, how could New Year’s Eve get better than that? I will admit it would be nice to go out dancing or having that New Year kiss wearing a little party hat and making lots of noise. But a bonfire is a fantastic way to spend the holiday and a way to look at the past year and reflect on our decisions. The crackling of the logs with red embers glowing, standing up close feeling the heat, wishing you had a bag of marshmallow to roast..MMmmmm.
“The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.” John 1:9
Jesus is our spiritual bonfire. Christ gives us the light of salvation in our dark world. We feel the warmth of His love when He forgives us and keeps us close to Him. Just like a bonfire doesn’t move away from us, so Jesus never leaves us either, even though we sometimes walk away or step back from Him. When we step back or walk away from a fire that is in the deep woods or out on side a lake, you can start to see how cold and dark it can be without it. We can invite people to come close to the fire with us and feel the warmth, the love of Christ. Bonfires make me feel all cozy and warm.

Other notes on my mind… The last few nights I have been dreaming of the future…literally. Last night I dreamt of my future home…me painting walls, moving in. The night before thatI dreamt of me working at a job…some school, who knows where, but it was nice and the night before that a wedding. Why…I can’t make it go away. Is this a sign I need to figure out where my life is going…I will admit I kind of wish I knew….but it doesn’t mean that I want to dream about. I’m weird I know.
I know what I want right now it is getting there and trying to get that other person to realize I don’t want to do it alone.

Dream Sweet…

No comments: