Monday, December 19, 2005

Memories

Can you only imagine….
Being a young woman, visited by a heavenly figure, with news that you are with a child. If it were me I would be in shock….dumb founded….at the thinking stage of why, what, when, how, denial…denial would be a feeling I think that would have over come me. A mother with child without sex, conception without sperm from a man….hmmm With all the science they have today nothing would shock me, but this Christmas carol isn’t based on the here and now.
And what about a man, who in fear took his wife pregnant with a child he knows isn’t his. Wouldn’t there be a lot of doubt, lack of trust….?
God does such wonderful things.
There are many stories that people know that go along with Christmas tradition.
“You’ll shoot your eye out,” “my teacher says every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings,” or “Ba-hum, bug”
My favorite Christmas story comes from the Good Book, you can’t really beat the true reason we celebrate Christmas. I know that this isn’t really the day we celebrate Christ’s Birthday, but it is a day like other holidays that we use it to represent something so that we take the time to recognize it. I’m busy just like other people, heck I haven’t even really done the whole Christmas shopping (and I don’t plan on it) we pass over things if not reminded. I almost even forgot my grandmother’s own birthday today because I have been focused on everything else and there wasn’t something to remind me, normally she is around so I remember that it is coming because we plan special dinners or what not. The last couple of years it has just been slipping tho, cause I never see her. Kendra (my cousin) and I were talking (via email) about how the holidays aren’t really the same because none of us really get together for the holidays like we use to when we were kids, cause grandma’s moved on and moved away.
I remember one Christmas my uncle brought home a girl. I was in kindergarten and I was use to Russ bringing home lots of girlfriends to meet the parents. He was a young man and an undergrad student at ISU so there were lots to choose from. There was one girl we liked who could holla hoop for like an hour and would sit and make bracelets with us girls all afternoon…you know we all liked her…I look back and wonder why tho. (so not right for him) This one Christmas I remember everyone was home my cousin, sister, and I were in the bedroom…we literally peered our heads over stacked one over the other…(what a sight) Russ had just walked in the house with a blond lady…we all turned around and giggled to ourselves…she’s a witch. Really she wasn’t but we were playing fairies early and it kind of fit the theme…however, I think we believed it for a really long time….come to find out days later she is a teacher. First impressions some times are horrifying for children…but that is how I remember most of the people in my life. Hee hee. I guess the point is that Christmas always hold so many family memories for me….every year was different and exciting. Now I don’t even know what my plans are…heck I might even spend Christmas Eve by myself.

No comments: