Sunday, December 11, 2005

Is Christmas Overrated?

Is Christmas overrated?

This was Pastor O’s sermon today. I have often times found myself asking the same question. So is it? I believe so. I think as much as we want to take a spin of Christianity to cover up Saturnalia (winter solstice) a pagan festival, we still our commercializing the meaning of it. In my Sunday school class we have been looking at the OT and since Christmas was coming up I posed the question about “What is an important day that we celebrate?” We talked about how Christmas is cool and everything, but the best holiday in our religion is Easter. The main reason Jesus was born is that he could suffer, die, and rise again. Pastor mentioned that Christmas (birth of Christ) isn’t mentioned very much in the Bible, but his death and resurrection is all over from front to back in the Good Book. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of traditions with gifts, trees, and all that jazz, but I see it as a day of remembrance, a day of thanksgiving for Jesus. I will admit Christmas wouldn’t be the same without eggnog, stockings, gifts, holiday food, or Christmas carols.
Remember the reason of the season.

John 1:1-3, 14
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word as God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made…. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

God Bless,

2 comments:

Tom Vanderbilt said...

Some good points, but I think you are missing some of the bigger points. Rather than post them all here, I springboarded (sprungboard?) off your topic on my own blog. Head over there and let me know what you think.

Tom Vanderbilt said...

Hey, no apology necessary. I'm just usually a contrarian. ;) It's fun to twist some tails every once in a while.

Blessed Christmas to you!