Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Tears

I bet you are going to wonder why am I playing this song on my blog and why did I dedicate it to F-troop. F-troop is the name of the class I have in the summer. It is what I call “my” kids. People think that it is weird the way some people talk about other peoples children. I call them my kids because I spend some times eight hours in a day with them some times eleven. I know these children sometimes better than their parents. This summer Holiday by GreenDay was one of their favorite songs….we would drive in circles in the high school parking lot just so we could crank the radio in the vans and all the kids would bounce around and sing. There other favorite song is Hear I am by Kelly Clarkson. They have a tendancy to throw out there arms and scream…. “Here I am…” one time they all jumped out of the pool and all the lifeguards started laughing. Their next favorite song is Gwen Stefani “Hollaback Girls”…aka to them BANANAS. My kids make me smile. So with this being their last day of summer I dedicate their favorite song of the summer. I left work in tears today. Tears of joy that I would no longer have 34 kids by myself, tears of happiness that they are starting back to school, but also tears of sadness. Today I had to write a dozen going away letters, take pictures with the children leaving, watch mom’s walk away crying, I had to give hugs to children I might not ever see again, but have spent over two years getting to know 5 sometime 6 days a week. I have to go through this again on Friday too because some kids are starting in the middle school on Monday…and then leaving the center as a whole is going to be a big big deal…my eyes are all ready watering just talking about it. I’m attatched to them, they are my lives…I know them inside and outside the center. I watch them for weeks at a time when parents are gone, I watch them on weekends, I go to their baseball games and book fairs with them. I visit their schools. I’m a wanna be parent of the worst kind….or so it looks on screen. I love each and everyone of them no matter what they have done day in and day out.
Tonight’s devotion went well we had a good number of students, most of which were there last year. We ate smores afterwards..mmmmmm I met two really nice freshmen as well as others. Now I’m off to bed to get some sleep.

1 comment:

Kris said...

my blog isn't working...i can't sign in so today's blog will be posted later....or at least will try to be posted later