Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Tuesday Tuesday (monday monday...has already passed)

Sorry...songs are in my head...lame joke?

Another week has started…it is going ok except for the rain…which is going to mess up the field trip…I hope I can reschedule. Talking Caverns on the west side of Branson. Don’t laugh, it could be fun. My grandmother W. took me to the Mammoth Caves in Kentucky when I was a sophomore…they weren’t that bad. I would love to go one time and crawl through them and not just on the tour path. My grandmother had gone the caves with her family when she was little, she wanted to take my cousins and I so we went from Iowa down to Kentucky…(back roads…got a little lost) and then up to Washington DC where we could lobby and come back. *it was a long trip.

I have talked to several people with finals this week at ISU and other schools…I wish you all the best. Don’t stress out just get them done!

1 comment:

The Hopper Family said...

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you in a while. School's been hectic, and as you can probably tell by the incoherent ramblings of my blog, I haven't exactly been going to bed early. On top of that, we sold Beth's car this weekend and are in the process of buying her a new (used) one. But enough of that...on to some school stories today.

1) I catch a boy (S) reading a note written to another boy (J). I don't think J has had a chance to read it yet, but it's from a girl (Z) who wants to ask him out. She even sets a deadline of responding by May 5. Later that morning, my co-teacher finds a similar note from another girl (K) to Z. Seems K used to like S, but she's done with him because he cheats on girls...Are you getting all this? Long story short, after a long hiatus I've found a soap opera with enough twists and turns to rival your own. Good times.

2) One of my students who is performing about two years below grade level in math completely shuts down when asked to do rounding. He won't comply with any directions, and he's not saying a word. Our school on-call team comes in to assist, and he has to literally be dragged from the room. Fortunately, the rest of the class is still outside for recess, so I'm able to make it out there to tell them to wait. Kid ended up going home from school early. He just snapped today, and not in the ultra explosive way.

3) But perhaps most memorable moment of the day: as I'm standing outside telling students to wait a few minutes before coming in. Two fifth graders get in a knock-down, drag out fight right in front of the teachers. After getting pulled apart, both start screaming obscenities: "I don't give a f*** who she thinks she is, I'll split her f****** lip open..." Meanwhile, my fourth graders and a few dozen fifth graders are almost frozen with shock and fear. Both students have been involved in altercations earlier this year, so it came as quite a surprise when their consequence was a mere 2-day IN-SCHOOL suspension. But that's still not the best part...the two were brother and sister!

Have a great Wednesday!