Monday, April 04, 2005

Doubt

How many times do you doubt your own abilities or the abilities of others? How many times do you question yourself, your beliefs, your mind?
Jesus appeared to Thomas (Didymus). Thomas wasn’t with the other disciples when Jesus had come previously. He had heard the rumors that Jesus lived and yet he still doubted. He walked with Jesus. He listened to His teachings and yet he had little faith that this wonderful thing could have happened, that Christ lives. Thomas wanted to see everything with his own eyes, to feel Jesus side with his own two hands. John 20:21 Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. How often we find ourselves thinking the same thing having doubt or asking God to prove His presence. Matthew 14 is when Peter decided to walk on the water. I’m sure if he would have thought about it clearly before he may have hesitated a little more. He had faith in His Lord and the mighty power and started walking across the waves. Like most men he got scared, he looked down and doubt over powered what faith He did have. “you of little faith, why do you doubt?” With the semester winding down I find myself looking at my future even more, praying for the days to come. Often times I find the feeling of doubt going through my head. Doubt is a strong feeling that often times gets mixed up with confusion, frustration, or just plain stupidity on the part of being of the human race. Mark 11:-22-25 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain,” ‘Go throw yourself into the sea’, and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen; it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that you Father in heaven ay forgive you your sins.” Am I saying you can pray for a million dollars and receive it…nope that isn’t what I was thinking about when choosing this passage to share. God has the mighty power to do what He wills. I feel that even if we ask for it God chooses when the best time is for us to have answered prayers. We might not always see prayers answered in the way we want them…but God has a plan for that answer. James 1:2 –12 talks about the crown of life and the man who perseveres, it also says “but when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord….” I pray that you may not doubt in the Lord God’s power over us. I pray that though the weeks get long and as many times over I ask myself what if, why, what am I going to do questions that I remember that I’m not really alone and that I should not forget to praise Him, that I should not doubt in myself and my own abilities. I should not doubt in the Lord.

God Bless, Kris

No comments: