Saturday, September 24, 2005

How is your sex life?

So this morning I went to go give a little speech thing at Memorial on peer ministry with a few other girls. Before the speech however Pastor O was giving the devotion and this line stuck out in my mind and I thought I would right it because it is so true.
If someone came up and randomly patted you on the back and asked you how your sex life….that would be a little too personal right? Well how often is going up to someone and asking about Jesus in their life is the same way. In some ways that might even be harder for some. How do we break through and cause a crack in our personal being. Get inside someone’s head with questions that are just too personal?


ps. yes i made it home just fine...thanks for asking! :-)









How is Christ in your life....?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You raise a thought provoking question. I have certain non-Christian friends whom I would feel more comfortable being up sex with rather than a discussion about Christ. Why is it that a sin-based discussion feels more comfortable than a holy-based one? I believe that being sinful creatures, we cannot help it.

In talking with a collogue the other day about the recent hurricanes, an opinion was expressed that the end of times could be upon us. In reflecting on this blog, if the end of times were certainly near -- would I want to be talking about sex with an unsaved person, or about salvation through Christ Jesus? Sadly, I often feel too awkward bringing up Christ in a conversation to one who needs who hear of His glory. I fear what they will think of me afterwards. I cannot help it. When in reality I know I should not care of opinion, rather care only for saving their soul from eternal damnation. I could certainly use some prayers on the issue.

Anonymous said...

Kristy,

As always, you made me think "Hmm?" Perhaps it's easier to talk about sex because both sides want to listen to what the other has to say. (Call it human curiosity, or call it libido.) The person who initiates the conversation about sex does so because he wants to hear what the other person thinks about the topic. They are comfortable with sharing and listening to each other talk about their sexual experiences.

Many times I find myself in discussions with Christian friends in which that is not the case. They want to discuss Christ not to listen to what I believe and weigh that against their own. They talk about Christ (as the Bible commands) to share the good news: I know something you can do to achieve salvation. Many are not open to listening to opposing beliefs. If someone were to approach me from the standpoint of "I can save your soul from eternal damnation," there is absolutely no way I would listen to what he or she has to say. If that person were to say, "I'm interested in what you believe, and I would like to compare your beliefs to mine" I'm much more apt to engage them in meaningful conversation.

Bottom line is that for any conversation to be comfortable, both sides must listen to what the other has to say with an open mind.