Monday, April 16, 2007

massacre

Well coming home tonight and turning on my TV the news was a little shocking…massacre is what I heard, school violence, university, and 33 dead. I thought to myself how scary it would be to be on that campus, how overwhelming it would be to finish out the semester of school. It makes you think where has the school security gone. Columbine was in ’99 and all the schools really up’ed the security. I feel that schools have slacked off most resent of days.

I guess at ISU I felt safe…I felt safe in class and even walking across campus. I use to walk late at night at least once or twice a week…I may have been a little nervous, but not worried that someone would come out and shoot me.

ISU has had its own riot, Lake Lavern men, hit and runs, and the “ El Nino” flashing man. Still I don’t know if I could even fathom what happened in Virginia. Being a peer minister on campus in the dorms….it isn’t hard to get into somewhere where you don’t live…I did it quite often. I know that they have been working on it….but if people open a door and let you in then how is that keeping others safe?

I wish I could say that I felt my school was ready for something to happen…I have dreams sometimes that something is going to happy and the reaction I take… (I’m weird) I guess I like to know that every precaution has been made…and I don’t know that at my school it has…we don’t have codes, we don’t always have locked doors… I don’t know if any thing will ever happen…it is a small school, you normally hear when people are pissed off. We have had 2 lock downs this year, and I don’t feel like they were done properly.

My prayers really go out to all the family and friends of those lost in the tragic event.

No comments: