Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Not My Will, But Yours Be Done

Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother’s breast. From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God. Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help. Psalm 22:9-11

One of the most difficult prayers to pray is that one which Jesus uttered in Gethsemane: “Not my will, but yours be done.” When we have some plan or hope which is very dear to us, it is extremely difficult for us to give it up. We may even feel resentful or bitter that God doesn’t see the matter our way.
Jesus, the Lamb of God, had prayed: “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.” The prospect of the agony and the pain he would have to endure was almost unendurable. But it could not be any other way! For it was written. Paying for the sins of the world was demanding the ultimate sacrifice of the Son of God.
Thank God, that in the midst of this desperate situation the Savior still clung to God in faith. As he considered his earthly life, he realized that He had a special position in God’s plans for men. From his birth on God had already marked him for special service. That God had led him to the cross had changed nothing. That, too, was part of the eternal plan to save sinners. Thus he trusted that, in spite of being forsaken, he was still an object of great concern to his Father. Even though rebuffed by God, he still sought to remain close to God and recognized him as his only Helper. When he gave up the spirit, it was with the confidence that God was still backing him. For he said, “Father into your hands I commit my spirit.”
Jesus was sure that God’s will was a good and gracious will. We have the same conviction as we ponder death of Christ. Although no life, no work, could have come to a more ignominious or disastrous end than that of our Savior, yet we know that it was not a disaster.
When the answer to our prayers is different than we expect, when the goal we pursue escapes our grasp, it’s not really the end of the world. We have the confidence that God has something in mind for us, which is wiser and more beneficial if we too are faithful to the end, as the Savior Jesus Christ was.
I know so many times I struggle in my life making sure that when I chat with God I’m thankful for what He has given me and that I need to put my whole trust in Him, I need a strong faith. I may not know where my life is headed but there is a path I just need some road signs and a few detours and some day I hope and pray I will join the Father in heaven.

I pray that God directs my life for me, I follow meek and lowly.

No comments: