Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Another grandparent gone

Last Friday I showed up at my grandfathers home to find him hunched over in his bed, oxygen tube falling out of his nose, unable to really speak or move.  I didn't expect that. I knew he was sick, but didn't want to see him like this. Pale doesn't begin to describe his color of skin, out of it doesn't describe his behavior. Zombie....maybe, a man always full of spirit was wanting to die. He had given up. 17% of his heart working, but that isn't what killed him. He staved himself and suffered from dehydration in the end which was July 25th. Cremation means the family will wait for services. His children were around him in the end, as we were all making a trip back to celebrate class reunions in town and my grand parents 60th anniversary party.

Memories that pop into my head. He had an office in my grandmas store where he did reality. I spent lots of time there. He also went to the meal sight when I was  4 or 5 and I went often with him. He was always in the same seat at church on Sunday morning. He would say good morning with a tight firm hug or grip on the arm. He loved picking up golf balls at the golf course....everyone made fun of him for it. He loved collecting all of them.  He use to attend every sporting event he could, standing on the fence line watching raider football. I found an old video of him driving his Oliver tractor in a homecoming parade. I think he loved that so many of us graduated from the same school as him! Several of us graduated from ISU too, just like him.

RIP grandpa your birthday is. Friday and we will celebrate the life you had.  Strong faith, helpful friend, supporting family member.

No comments: