Monday, May 28, 2012

Odyssey of the Mind

Odyssey of the mind was this past weekend in Ames, and I was blessed to have the chance to party with a bunch of young kids dancing the night away in really hot rec center.  It got me thinking about how closed minded I have become, how I've stopped challenging myself, stopped dreaming about what is to come in the future.  The Odyssey (adventure) of my mind has been stuck in one spot.  I looked at all these kids from all over the world here in Iowa for one purpose to use their minds in creative ways. 

As a teacher I'm stuck like others and continue to do what works and am willing to try new things, but don't always want to prep for those new things.  I don't want to say it is the laziness in me....but lets get real it is partly that.  Part of it I think is knowing that I won't ever get regonition from administration if I do something great in class.  I'm stuck in a little hole without a ladder to get out on some days.  This year has been a challenge in teaching and a true joy.  I watched students go from hating to read to not wanting to put a book down.  I saw students learn how to problem solve and have conversations with others.  Other students write with spaces and with periods at the end of a sentence.

My odyssey, adventure, journey this summer is focus on my walk with God again.  I want to get refocused on what direction I need to be going in my life.  I worked with youth earlier this week and we talked about choices that we make and having the freedom of choice.  We played a little wii party to make that connection....it worked!  How do the choices we make young effect the choice we make later as an adult?


I reflected today by going through picture after picture....Memorial Day is a time to reflect on those that served our country.  God bless my grandfather, may he rest in peace.  To this day just the start of the Taps, make me cry.




 

No comments: